studio 41 has a project on art-writing initiated and coordinated by Gwenan Davies, and is looking for those interested in writing as or about art.
Alongside the on-going exhibition programme, the gallery will be looking to produce pieces of writing that complement the work on display. It is an opportunity to experiment with art-writing and online publishing.
Art-writing can be seen as many different things – reviews, essays, creative writing, poetry or writing-as-art.
With each exhibition that would come to the gallery, studio 41 writing participants would be encouraged to create a piece of writing in response that will be published on studio 41′s website.
We are interested in hearing from anybody from all backgrounds interested in art-writing. For expressions of interest or for more information, please email us at thestudio41 [at] gmail [dot] com.
On this page, in addition to pieces from the participants of the art-writing project, we include reviews of programmes and exhibitions at studio 41.
- Jac Mantle‘s review of Will nothing be understood by the totems by today (4-7 March 2011) in The Skinny: http://www.theskinny.co.uk/article/101791-totems-of-today
- Geneva Sills’ response to “See what the mirror sees without you standing in the way” (14-17 May 2011): https://thestudio41.wordpress.com/2011/05/14/aeropuerto/
- Alistair Quietsch‘s piece in response to “See what the mirror sees without you standing in the way” (14-17 May 2011): https://thestudio41.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/reactionary-poem-by-alistair-quietsch/
- Aideen Doreen’s written response to “See what the mirror sees without you standing in the way” (14-17 May 2011): https://thestudio41.wordpress.com/2011/05/19/written-response-by-aideen-doran/
- Andrew Cattanach’s preview of warmstruggle (21-24 May 2011) in The Skinny: http://www.theskinny.co.uk/article/102121-warm-struggle-studio-41
- Alistair Quietsch‘s reaction to warmstruggle (21-24 May 2011): https://thestudio41.wordpress.com/2011/05/23/response-to-warmstruggle-by-alistair-quietsch/
- Gwenan Davies’ response to warmstruggle (21-24 May 2011): https://thestudio41.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/response-by-gwenan-davies-to-warmstruggle/
- Gwenan Davies’ response to Grids (21-26 June 2011): https://thestudio41.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/an-anecdote-based-on-liquid-and-grids-by-gwenan-davies/
- Geneva Sills‘ response to I like what you do see me as (?) (30 Jul – 1 Aug 2011): http://thestudio41.wordpress.com/2011/08/08/diamond-little-by-geneva-sills/
- Carla Novi‘s response to prefab (7-12 Aug 2011): https://thestudio41.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/text-by-carla-novi-in-response-to-prefab/